The Physical Education program helps develop students’ understanding of sportsmanship and a healthy lifestyle through being active. Students have the opportunity to progress through School Sport Victoria pathways in various sports through trials at different levels (school, district, division, regional, state, national level).
- Physical Education is taught for 1 hour every week
- Classroom teachers take their learning communities for an addition ‘sport hour’ each week
- Physical Education is planned for with a clear focus in mind
- Units of work are designed to start with simple tasks and progress student skill levels by providing stimulating and challenging activities
- All students participate in the compulsory annual swimming program
- The school’s Physical Education curriculum is designed to develop students fundamental motor skills in early years (F-2) and progress these skills into sports specific skills in years (3-6)
- Physical Education aims to be enjoyable for all students and non-confronting games and activities are used
- The Physical Education program incorporates a range of sports and activities to develop students skills
- A wide range of equipment is used in a variety of settings including outside on the schools oval and inside in the gymnasium
- Students in years 3-6 have the opportunity to participate in a range of interschool sports and competitions including swimming, athletics and lightning premiership events
- Assessment of all students is undertaken regularly and is used to monitor student improvements
- The ultimate goal of Physical Education is to prepare students for a ‘lifetime of physical activity’
- Students are encouraged to participate in additional physical activity outside of and within school hours
Sports House Systems
Every student is placed into a House. Where possible, students from the same family are placed in the same house.
Each house has a grade 6 boy and girl House Captain, selected at the beginning of the year by their House team.
The four sport houses are:
EXTRA CURRICUAL OPTIONAL PHYSICAL EDUCATION
- Interschool football, netball, tennis and soccer
- Junior (3/4) and Senior (5/6) Hoop Time (Basketball)
- Netball Competition (3/4 and 5/6) organised by Brauer College